Saturday, June 19, 2010

Taste of the Place-Napa Valley and beyond WEEK 1

 

 
Welcome to my first edition of Taste of the Place-Week1.  This weekly blog is designed for our upcoming Girlfriend's Getaway to Napa Valley (and beyond).  I will post each week as we ponder and prepare for this adventure.  I am highlighting potential wineries/places/food each week for the next 10 weeks.

 
Week 1- I picked a winery to ponder.  Rombauer Vinyards http://www.rombauer.com/

 
Without knowing much about wineries in the region, I am dependent on 'hear-say' of others that have visited prior to me.  So this weeks choice came from my local Wine Shop-The Vintage Wine Shoppe.  The choice came more from a little bit of trivia that was shared with me...It seems the book Joy of Cooking was written by Irma Rombauer.
Joy of Cooking by Irma Rombauer
 
The story shared with me from my new friends at Vintage Wine Shoppe stated that Irma 'bankrolled' the winery for the Rombauer family and it remains a family run business today. 
 
To keep myself oriented on the Frommer's Guide map (that is becoming frayed with use) I highlighted the area:
 
Obviously I couldn't highlight a winery and not experience the TASTE OF THE PLACE, right?  So I purchased the first 'ponderment' for week 1.  To keep from becoming a lush during these weeks of pondering, I shared the first bottle with dear friends, Randy and Rosemarie.   She supplied the food (delicious!) and I supplied the wine.  The cost of the wine was higher than I normally spend on a bottle but I am considering this expense necessary for the process! 

 
I will gather other's insight and add their rankings as I move along week to week if a winery is chosen; But my overall ranking of 8 will place this cabernet high on my list.  The price is a tad too high for a casual bottle though and probably would pull it down to a 7 on that component alone.

Now, I must begin the undertaking of finding lodging in the region of Napa and Sonoma.  So far I have been limited to internet google searches, Frommer's guide and word of mouth but after spending some time with my dear friend I think we have our wish list situated:
  1. Ambiance/View
  2. Price
  3. Location
  4. Space
Not too much to ask for, right?  If anyone has any great places, please share.


No comments:

Post a Comment